Dental Implants in Calgary, AB
Losing teeth due to trauma or disease can be devastating for some people because it affects their appearance when they smile and laugh. Fortunately, our dentists in Calgary can recommend procedures to replace teeth, including one gaining in popularity, dental implants.
Qualifying for Implants
Before you can start discussing the option of getting an implant to replace a tooth, our dentists need to assess your jawbone to determine if it can hold an implant. After losing teeth, the jawbone starts to shrink, and if not replaced, the bone can shrink by 25 percent the first year.
Ideally, approximately one centimeter of bone should be available around each implant when in the bone. If it isn’t, a bone graft may be necessary to build up the required amount. Otherwise, you won’t be able to get implants.
Ways Implants Can Replace Teeth
It might surprise some people to learn that dental implants have been around since the 1960s, and modern implants in Calgary with titanium roots became available in the 1980s. Since implants with titanium roots have become popular, manufacturers have them available for all sizes of teeth and others that support an arch of teeth.
Once you get approval for an implant, our dentists near you will embed it, and then you will need to wait until it fuses with the jawbone to add the abutment and crown. It will take about six to nine months for an embedded tooth to heal before you can eat normally.
If you’re missing several teeth, an implant-supported bridge may be a better option than individual implants. The implants for a bridge take three to four months for the titanium roots to fuse with the lower jaw and about three to six months for the upper jaw to fuse with the roots.
A second surgery to add the abutments and healing caps to the implants is necessary. This surgery heals in three to four weeks. Once it heals, our dentists can put the bridge in place, and you can start using it to eat. If you’re interested in getting implants, call Oasis Dental to set up a consultation.
Advantages Of Getting Dental Implants
Dental implants in SE Calgary offer several advantages over other methods of replacing your missing teeth, like removable dentures or bridges. Some important differences include:
- Durability: Our dental implants in Calgary are designed to be a permanent or at least long-term solution and may be able to last a lifetime with proper care and maintenance.
- Functionality: Dental implants are anchored in the jawbone, which provides a stable base for replacement artificial teeth. They allow for almost “normal” biting and chewing functionality, which in some cases may not be possible with dentures.
- Aesthetics: Implants from our dental clinic in Calgary feel similarly to natural teeth, providing a more aesthetically pleasing appearance than dentures.
- Bone preservation: The most significant advantage of a dental implant is its protective effect on preserving jawbone density. Dental implants from our dentist in Calgary stimulate bone regeneration and prevent breakdown of the jawbones (or alveolar crest of the bone) due to lack of function and stimulation.
- Convenience: It is easier to care for single tooth dental implants than some other prosthetics as No specific cleaning is needed for them or maintenance beyond regular brushing and flossing, and regular visits to your dentist’s office.
Speaking can become difficult due to the absence of teeth. Implants provide a stable anchor to the replacement prosthetic teeth; they can improve speech clarity and confidence.
- Comfort: Discomfort and irritation are among the biggest problems with partial and complete dentures. As implants integrate, they tend to become very comfortable, and you will barely notice them once you become more comfortable with their presence in your mouth.
While the initial cost of getting dental implants from our dentist near you may be more than dentures, when considering their several advantages, it is usually worth it!
Whether you need teeth removed or you’re missing teeth, our dentists in Calgary can replace..
We aim to educate, encourage, and advocate excellent oral health for all of our patients..
Our dentists at Oasis Dental have the skills and experience to make your child’s dental..
If you have teeth damaged in an accident or by tooth decay, our dentists in..
If you have dental pain, you may feel like making an appointment to have the..
Have you ever taken a bite of hard food, like a nut, broke a tooth,..
Do you notice other people’s smiles and wish yours was as healthy as theirs? Well,..
Thanks to improved dental technology and preventives, fewer people know what having a cavity feels..
Do You Grind Your Teeth? You May Have a Condition Known as Bruxism Do you..
Oasis Dental offers cosmetic procedures to restore the appearance of your teeth and repair damaged..
Most people appreciate a bright, beautiful smile. Whether you have a big event happening soon..
Sleep apnea is a chronic condition that can cause various issues during sleep. A person..
Some people need a bit of extra care in the dentist office. Whether this is..
Whenever possible, our dentists in Calgary prioritize saving teeth. In some cases, this may mean..
During an accident, you could have several teeth knocked out of your top or lower..
If you want to maintain healthy teeth, it’s vital to brush them twice a day,..
If you have crooked teeth, two options for straightening them are metal braces or clear..
Mouthguards are designed to keep your teeth and gums safe from injury. Mouth and jaw..
Gum disease is one of the most common conditions of the mouth in North America..
In times in which the concept of image is prioritized, aesthetics has become something fundamental..
Visiting our dentists near you is essential for keeping up with your oral hygiene. At..
Most people are aware that they should regularly visit their general dentist for cleanings or..
A damaged smile can devastate a person’s quality of life. It can harm a person’s..
At Oasis Dental, we understand that weekend dental emergencies can be challenging. Our team of..